The mission of UT Recycling is threefold: to reduce the amount of waste produced on campus, to divert all waste that is produced into sustainable and economically efficient outlets, and to educate students, staff, and faculty on the benefits of waste diversion and engage them in the process.
Who We Are
UT Recycling is The University of Tennessee, Knoxville’s waste management and recycling division housed in the Facilities Services department.
The Waste Warrior team is composed of full-time university staff, CAC Americorps workers from across the United States, and student workers from UT.
What We Do
Since UT Recycling’s founding in 2003, waste diversion rates, or the percentage of waste kept out of the landfill, has increased from 7% in 2005 to more than 30% in 2017.
To fulfill our mission of making UT Knoxville a Zero Waste institution, UT Recycling…
- Provides recycling collection services at all campus buildings
- Provides compost collection services at most campus dining facilities
- Promotes simple living and the Zero Waste lifestyle
- Engages the UT community through volunteer opportunities & educational programs
- Contributes to the development of sustainable practices and planning